Hi, I’m Sydney. You can call me Syd too.
I design memorable and meaningful experiences at the intersection of the applied psychology of well-being and leisure and interactive entertainment. I’m exploring how interactive media and experience design relate to mental health and the broader pursuit of a fulfilling life, and how that relationship can be strengthened through research-informed design.
I do this by practicing:
- designing interactive experiences for entertainment, well-being interventions, and a mix of those two
- creative writing for interactive media
- consulting for integrating scientific knowledge about emotional and psychological wellness into interactive media design and experience design, from games to events
- writing and speaking about interactive media and positive psychology
- conducting game user research to study usability and experience goals
- blogging about the connections between my favorite topics (especially BTS, positive psychology, and experience design)
I have a master’s degree in Games and Health from the University of Southern California (USC)’s Interactive Media and Games Division and bachelor’s degrees in psychology and English from Tufts University.
Other stuff I love includes Dragon Age, The Sims, rhythm games, RPGs, narrative games, Parks & Recreation and The Good Place, magical realism, hip-hop and jazz dance, seeing live music (thank you for wearing a mask so I can do this again), going to museums (really… 😷), learning Korean, sushi, and motorcycle jackets.